Kevin McMahon – Biography
Kevin had the most fascinating introduction into magic. Back in the mid 2000s the most popular reality show on TV was called ‘Faking It‘. The premise was to train someone in a job laterally opposite to the one they already did. So, for example, they would train a classical cellist to a DJ, or a sheep shearer to a hair dresser, or a minister to a second hand car salesman, you get the idea. Back in 2005 they took a quiet, mild mannered scientist and trained him to be a magician. And this is the story of how Kevin got into magic. He was that scientist. The most wonderful part of the show was that they taught every participant a new skill. Back in 2005, a 90 minute Easter Day special was aired and watched by almost 7 million people across the UK, . It has since been translated into other languages and enjoyed by millions of people all over the world.
After the show Kevin has received Fan mail from folks in every continent across the world. He was taught by the best working professionals in the UK today. In addition he was flown over to Las Vegas where he received a master class on magic from the best magicians in the world “Penn and Teller”. That certainly left his mark on Kevin.
Many people often ask Kevin if he will ever return to Science as a career. He genuinely feels that he has made a bigger mark in the magic world on his audiences that he could have ever made in the world of science. You could say he found his calling and he’s very proud of all the high end magic projects he has created.
Since the show, he has now gone on to become one of the top magicians in the UK. A selection of high profile events and projects that Kevin has created or worked on are outlined below.
- Took first place in the Edinburgh Magic Circle Close Up Magic Competition
- Became the first magician ever to perform on stage at the Globe Theatre in London.
- Launches the Edinburgh International Magic Festival, appearing on BBC 1, Radio Scotland, The Herald and others
- Performs to Richard Branson, Jonathan Ross and others at the launch of Virgin’s new air link from Edinburgh
- Launches new Edinburgh Festival Fringe show with The Colour Ham, magic sketch comedy group
- 3rd Edinburgh Magic Festival sees over 5000 people attend live magic events and the Gala Show is attended by Fiona Hislop MSP Minister for Culture.
- Premieres new act ‘Will o the Wisp’, inspired by pixar animation BRAVE, at the Arts and Business annual awards ceremony.
- Cutting edge, comedy/magic sketch group “The Colour Ham” performs to sell out crowds at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- Kevin smashes the Guinness World Record for the BIGGEST ever Magic Lesson.
- Made a bus vanish to be replaced by ‘butterflies’ the symbol for MagicFest 2012.
- Edinburgh Magic Festival sees over 5000 people attend live magic events.
- Kevin founds and performs in cutting edge, comedy/magic sketch group “The Colour Ham”.
- Performances for the launch of the new Mini Cooper and New Landrover in London and Edinburgh.
- Week long booking at “The Magic Castle” in Holywood
- Installed as Artistic Director of ‘The Edinburgh International Magic Festival’.
- Magic Consultant on “The Unsinkable Titanic” on Channel 4.
- Created ‘Underground Magic Show’ for Edinburgh International Film Festival Launch (attended by Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart)
- Worked with Derren Brown at Gleneagles at the Johnny Walker Golf championship
- Work with o2 on creating internal advertising campaign for Home Broadband
- Became commitee member of the “Edinburgh Magic Circle”
- Glut of Footballers weddings, Steven Davis, Alan McManus, John Sutton (Chris Sutton’s wee brother)
- Second Month long Contract in Dubai at the 5 star Kempinski Hotel
- 2nd Edinburgh Fringe Show “Magic to Get Girls By”
- Audition and become a member of The Magic Circle
- Performed with my magic heroes Ali Bongo and Pat Page at “The Castle of Magic”
- First month long contract in Dubai
- First ever Edinburgh Fringe Show “Tricks I’ve learned Since Being on Telly”
- Work with diageo to launch new alcoholic drink
- ‘Faking It‘ airs on C4 on Easter Sunday, showing my journey from scientist to pro magician. The show is watched by over 6 million people.
- My first magic job! Installed as Residant magician at two TGI Friday restaurants